Saturday, October 13, 2007

what is an IDEAL GOVERNMENT ?part 2

october 13, 2007

on March 21, 2007 , I posted a simple question : WHAT IS AN IDEAL GOVERNMENT ?

There was just one comment posted may 27,07 who has a blog realdemocracy.wordpress.com titled " REAL DEMOCRACY converting the Oligarchic Republic of the United States into a Direct Democracy."

and a group http//groups.yahoo.com/group/real-democracy.

I probably think that a lot of what is said may be true, however I have never been able to agree with that approach. WHY ?
Because, I am not so much concerned about how we establish a government or elect representatives, but my concern is simply OK, by whatever method we elect the representatives, WHAT IS IT THAT I WANT FROM THEM ? IN OTHER WORDS WHAT IS THE ROLE OF OUR GOVERNMENT ???
WHAT IS IT THAT WE EXPECT FOR THEM TO DO IN ORDER TO CREATE A SYSTEM THAT DOES PROVIDE SOME SORT OF EQUAL OPPORTUNITY FOR ALL THE CITIZENS , AS A DEMOCRATIC SOCIETY SHOULD BE ???
LET ME FURTHER SPECIFY THAT IF I EXPECT THE GOVERNMENT TO HELP ME, I SHOULD ALSO HAVE THE DUTY TO RETURN THE FAVOR.
EVERY RIGHT IS ACCOMPANIED BY A DUTY. in this sense , there is no free lunch.
BUT the EQUAL OPPORTUNITY IS BEING GIVEN TO ALL..............then it is up to the citizen to make the best of it.



No comments: